As a wedding and portrait photographer, I strive to create images that tell the story of your life with beauty and grace, respect and imagination. Foregoing forced smiles and stiff poses, I embrace natural smiles and expressions in order to create images that have a unique freshness and vitality and a heartfelt and emotional authenticity.

Welcome to my blog!

Photobucket

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Hibernating

Perhaps I am a bear, or some hibernating animal underneath,
for the instinct to be half asleep all winter is so strong in me.
Anne Morrow Lindbergh

What a record-breaking winter it's been. And, according to the local gossip, we're in for more snow this week. Our 5th? 6th? After Snowmageddon, I stopped counting. Snow is forecasted for Wednesday, which means I've already missed my window for bread, milk or basically any bovine product. I'm apparently the only one in Richmond who doesn't feel called to make a brisket during a snowstorm.

It's said that the earth is actually closest to the sun in winter. I'm not sure who discovered this ... someone quite brainy, assuredly. But it doesn't explain why this particular winter has been so dark, so long, so cold and dreary. If it's true that the sun is so near, why have I spent the last four months under a blanket? And why does our heating bill rival the cost of a private education?

Regardless of the mysteries of our universe, I want it back. The sun. I've missed it more than ever. This Wednesday, when the snow is coming down and we're making yet another pot of coffee and fighting an unexpected craving for brisket, we'll direct our thoughts back to last summer. When our family came to visit and I spent the afternoon in the kitchen making a peach cobbler. When we sweated through our clothes, planting window boxes with white petunias and cherry red geraniums. When I routinely ate my lunch outside on the porch to boost my Vitamin D.

So, I know it will be back. And I'll be ready. By then, I'll have a pile of spring recipes, my plans for this year's window boxes, and, best of all, I'll be anxious to catch up on photographs. I have so many ideas for spring sessions that it's become increasingly difficult to keep them all on hold.

If you're like me and looking forward to warmer weather, give me a call when you're snowed in. We'll discuss spring sessions or summer weddings ... and your best recipe for peach cobbler.

0 comments:

Post a Comment